United States Postal Service is a large independent agency. It has a large number of customers. Every day its customers use to send or receive mail or packages using different mail classes and services. Most of the customers are happy with its service, but it is receiving various complaints for the last few years. If any customer of U.S Postal Service (USPS) wants to file a complaint, wants to contact, or needs any help, then he/she can easily contact to it using the different contact methods. With the help of USPS customer service, you can easily solve your problem.
Below are the USPS contact methods for specific requests, to file a complaint or any other type of help. Firstly we will talk about the basic contact information and then about the specific requests and at last, how you can file a complaint. So let’s start with the basic contact information.
USPS customer service:
Basic Contact Information:
1. Contact or Call USPS Domestic Customer Service: If you want to know something, for general inquiries and information you can call on domestic USPS Customer service line: 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777).
Note: – Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD) or Teletypewriter (TTY) relay number is: 1-800-877-8339
You may call on the customer service number given above for any general information. There are some useful things to know before calling on this domestic customer service line, and those useful things are given below: –
- If you want to contact USPS through this customer service number, then make a call during hours of operation. The customer service executives are not present there 24×7 for picking up your phone calls. So, if you want to talk to an actual person or real human, then make a call during operation hours and the hours of operation are as follows: –
Monday to Friday: – 8:00 AM – 8:30 PM EST
Saturday: – 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM EST
Sunday: – Closed
Holidays: – Closed (find USPS Holidays)
- When you call on the USPS phone number given above, you will hear a series of automated prompts and if you want to talk to a real human, then press “2” on your phone then “0”. After pressing 0, wait for the automated operator or speaker to speak and then press “0” again. Now keep pressing the “0” until a real operator speaks.
- If you make a call on the number given above, then you will have to wait for 22 minutes (reported) to speak to a real human.
2. Send E-mail: If you want to contact it during off hours or don’t want to talk any person, then you may send an email using it’s Email Us Form. You can see an image of this form below to see how this form looks like.
If your inquiry involves a tracking number, then select “Yes” and if not then select “No.” If you selected “Yes,” then enter the tracking number in the next blank field which is asking for the tracking number. Now you have to select an option to indicate the reason for your email. You have to select a category which matches your problem, suggestion, information or compliment. After selecting the category, you will have to select some more subcategories. After selecting all the required categories and subcategories, you will need to fill some fields, and there you can write your problem, suggestion, information or compliment briefly in the Additional Information field.
Through this method, you can contact the U.S postal service during off hours. After sending the email, you should get a reply within 24 hours (as long as the next day is a business day).
1. USPS Tracking Phone Number: If you want any information regarding USPS domestic and international tracking, then you may call on 1-800-222-1811.
You all know that USPS tracking service is one of the best service offered by this agency. A customer can easily track any package or mail using the tracking number. If you want to track your mail, then you may enter the tracking number above (on top), or you may also use the official site of USPS for this. Before calling this number, you should be aware of the hours of operation. If you want to talk to a real human, then you should call according to the following operating hours.
- Customer representatives won’t be able to help you during holidays. From Monday to Friday, the hours of operation are 8:00 AM to 8:30 PM EST, on Saturdays 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST, and on Sundays it is closed. So you can’t talk to a real person if you don’t follow the hours of operation.
2. Order Stamps: If you want to place a bulk order for stamps or you want to know anything regarding the previous stamp order, then you may call on 1-800-Stamp24 (1-800-782-6724).
Stamps are the important part of any postage. If you face any problem or need any information related to stamp, then may call on the above-given post office number. But before calling, find out the hours of operation for the same: –
- From Monday to Friday, the hours of operation are 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST, on Saturdays 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST, and on Sundays & holidays it is closed.
3. Technical Support: For any technical support or help for something concerning the official site of USPS, you may call on: – 1-800-344-7779.
It sometimes happens when you can’t help yourself with the navigation, or you are unable to find anything on the site. In that situation, you may call on the USPS number given above, but before calling, don’t forget to find out the hours of operation for any technical support: –
- From Monday to Friday the hours of operation are 8:00 AM to 8:30 PM EST, on Saturdays 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST, and on Sundays & holidays it is closed.
4. Free Shipping Supplies: You may call on 1-800-610-8734 if you want to ask for free shipping supplies. The operation hours are different for this, and you can see this below: –
- From Monday to Friday you may call between 7:00 AM – 11:00 PM EST, on Saturdays from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
1. Make A General Complaint over Phone: Call on this following number for making a general complaint: – 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777).
The Text Telephone (TTY) number is 1-800-877-8339. Have a look at the customer service hours for making a general complaint using the phone.
- The hours of operation from Monday to Friday are 8:00 AM to 8:30 PM EST, on Saturdays 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST, and on Sundays & holidays it is closed.
2. File a Complaint Online: For filing a complaint online, use the customer service online form. You may also click here for that complaint form. Follow the steps for submitting the complaint: –
- Select Yes or No depending upon the involvement of the tracking number.
- If the inquiry involves the tracking number, then enter it in the second field.
- Now select the category depending upon your complaint.
- Navigate through the subcategories until you reach the complaint form.
- Describe your problem briefly in the additional information and submit it.
Through this method, you will be able to file the complaint online.
3. Contact Consumer Advocate: Write your problem on a letter and send this letter to the United States Postal Service’s Consumer Advocate. You may send this letter to his office, and the mailing address is: –
United States Postal Service
Office of the Consumer Advocate
475 L’Enfant Plaza SW
Washington DC 20260-2200
4. Contact Local Postmaster: If you have any general complaint, then you may contact or talk to your local postmaster. For this, you have to visit your local post office. If you don’t know where the local post office is, then you may take help of phone directory or USPS Find Location tool.
With the help of this tool, you can easily locate the post office. You may also follow the steps given below to locate the post office and to find USPS contact number.
- Firstly, click here to visit the page of “Find Location” tool.
- Now choose the location type from the drop down menu.
- Enter the ZIP Code of City, State.
- Select the range or distance of the post office from you. You can select the distance from 1 mile to 100 miles.
- You may also refine your search (optional).
- Now click on the “Search” button.
- Now you can see the address, operation hours and phone number of your nearest post offices.
With the help of this Location Tool, you can easily find the address, working hours, days, contact number and the distance of your local post offices. Find the address of your local post office and visit there to talk to the postmaster. He or she will surely sort out your problem.
5. File a claim or abuse committed by USPS: You can complain to the Inspector General’s Office (OIG) if fraud, theft, waste or any abuse has been committed by any employee of U.S Postal Service. You may contact OIG by following methods: –
- You may send mail directly to – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call on the following number: – 1-888-USPS-OIG (1-888-877-7644).
- Text Telephone (TTY) line is: – 1-866-OIG TEXT (1-866-644-8398).
- Use the online complaint form.
Don’t use this online complaint form if you are facing any problem regarding tracking, late delivery, misdelivery, attempted delivery, etc. Fill this form only if you are facing any of following problems: –
- Injury compensation fraud
- Computer Crimes
- Contract Fraud
- Embezzlements and financial crimes
- Employee Misconduct
- Whistleblower reprisal
- Theft of items from the mail by Postal employees or contractors
- Internal affairs and executive investigations
If your problem matches any topic given above, then you can fill this form. If you don’t know how to fill it then you can follow the steps given below: –
Step 1: – Visit the page from where you can submit the complaint by clicking the link above.
Step 2: – Complete the blank fields by filling up the required information.
In the first field, select who you are, USPS customer, USPS Employee, USPS OIG Employee or Contractor for USPS. Now select “Yes” if you want to remain anonymous and if not, then select “No.” If you select No, then it will ask you to fill some more information like your first and last name, your address, contact number, email address, etc. So it’s up to you what you select. Now you can write the name or post of that person who committed the alleged misconduct and wrongdoing. Try to be as specific as possible. Now it will ask you about the facts, the reason of the problem, its result, etc. So write all these things in the given blank field.
Now select the date when the wrongdoing occurred. Write the place, the method, and some more information about the wrongdoing.
Select “Yes” if you want confidentiality and “No” if you don’t. Choose Yes or No where it is asked that “Are you willing to be interviewed?”
Step 3: – Clear the CAPTCHA field.
Step 4: – Click on “Preview” and at last, confirm the complaint.
So by following these steps, you can submit or file a complaint online with Inspector General. The person who needs USPS help can fill this online form.
6. Report Mail Fraud: You should report to USPIS (U.S Postal Inspection Service) if mail fraud is committed by any person. You can print an online mail fraud report in PDF format and send it to the USPIS. Use the following address: –
Criminal Investigations Service Center
Attention: Mail Fraud
222 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250
Chicago IL 60606-6100
- Contact your nearest USPIS office for immediate action. You may Call USPS on 1-877-876-2455 if you want to locate the nearest USPIS office. You can use Office Locator for this. The customer service hours for this line is 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM (all time zones).
- You may also fill an online mail fraud form. Follow the steps given below to file mail fraud complaint online.
Step 1: – Click here to visit the page from where you can file the complaint.
Step 2: – Fill out the required (*) fields. Enter your information in the fields like your name, address, ZIP Code, contact number, etc. Below is a screenshot of Mail Fraud Complaint form. It’s only the starting part of the form.
Step 3: – Write some additional information at the bottom of the form.
Step 4: – Double check all the fields to confirm that you provided correct information and then click on Submit.
So by following these steps, you can file an online mail fraud complaint.
7. Report Identity Theft: Identity theft is the deliberate use of the identity of some other person. If you are suffering from the identity theft problem, then you can file an online report using the identity theft form. Follow the steps given below to fill the form.
Step 1: – Click here to visit the online identity theft form page.
Step 2: – Read all the required fields and choose the given options according to yourself. You can see some part of Identity Theft form below in the form of a screenshot.
Step 3: – After filling all the required fields click on “Submit Complaint.”
So by this way you can file a complaint in the case of Identity theft.
8. Report about Additional Abuse and Crimes: If you know that a person (letter carrier or USPS employee) has stolen your mail or has done anything wrong, then you may contact to your local postmaster. You may also visit your local post office to find out your postmaster, or you can use Postmaster Finder. After complaining to your postmaster about the abuse or crime, he will ask you to fill a form. In that form, you will need to give the information about the incident.
- In the case of mail stolen, you may call on USPS customer service number: – 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) or USPIS number: – 1-877-876-2455.
You can contact U.S Postal Service through any of the numbers.
9. Seeking Help for a Rate or Service Inquiry: If you want to file any complaint against major policy change like postage rates, then you should contact to Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) using its contact form. Fill the blank fields and click on Submit.
Tips on USPS Customer Service:
- Try to give as much information as you can because if you do this your suggestion, complaint, question, the problem will be addressed quickly.
- Before calling on any contact number, see it’s hours of operation.
- During calling or talking to any USPS Employee, avoid abusive language.
- Before filing any complaint, gather all the required information.
- Don’t forget to take the complaint number after submitting your complaint.
Final Words: – These are the ways to contact United States Postal Service (USPS). You can contact it by various ways like by visiting the local post office, by calling it, by filling the online form, etc. There are various ways, and you can see yourself in this article. One important thing is that you should find out your problem first, then find out the way to contact U.S Postal Service because there are so many departments in it, and every different department handles a different kind of problem, so you cannot ask any department to solve your particular problem. So the right way to solve your problem is that you must contact to that department which handles the type of problem you have. Now it’s easier to find anything like post office address, phone number, postmaster’s name, etc. because of the tools provided by USPS itself. Post Office Locator, USPS Mobile App, Consumer Affairs office locator and many other tools are helping its customers for a better experience. If you want to suggest, know or share anything, then you may leave a comment in the comment box below.